cSPACE King Edward is an award-winning transformation of a vacant sandstone school and 3 acre site in Calgary into a LEED Gold mixed use, innovation hub for the cultural and creative sector. At the heart of the development is the repurposing of a municipally designated heritage school into a 47,500 s.f. multi-disciplinary arts, culture and community facility and arts-infused park. cSPACE is 100% leased with over 30 long-term tenants including industry organizations, mixed-discipline makers, artists and designers, and cultural non-profits.
cSPACE also provides a vibrant coworking space for freelancers, small businesses and non-profits to access flexible workspaces, networking opportunities and shared services to support their enterprise growth. Over 20 members come from a diverse mix of companies and organizations in renewable energy, communications, accounting, mental health, theatre, dance and culture.
Underpinning the financial sustainability of the operations, a unique event and conference venue provides a highly adaptable and technically sophisticated 200-person studio theatre and top-floor meeting centre that provides corporations, community groups and artists with an inspiring experience to meet and collaborate.
What is one interesting fact about your space?
cSPACE King Edward is a $34.5 million project (including land purchase) that has mobilized multiple sectors to fund its construction:
• $6.67 million from the City of Calgary
• $4.02 million from the Calgary Foundation
• $5.33 million from the Province of Alberta
• $2.50 million from the Government of Canada
• $9.32 million from cSPACE (surplus land sales completed for private sector condominium and seniors housing developments)
• $3.63 million from corporate, foundation and individual donations
• $3.03 million in secured financing from Royal Bank of Canada
What are your favorite resources that you would recommend to others?
Center Name: cSPACE
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Center Website: www.cspacekingedward.com